Southeast Missouri’s Only Level III Emergency and Trauma Center
The Emergency and Trauma Center at Saint Francis Medical Center is the only state-designated Level III trauma center in southeast Missouri, caring for nearly 38,000 patients annually. The Center was formally named the Gene E. Huckstep Emergency/Trauma Center in recognition of a long-term chairman of our board of directors.
To earn the designation of Level III Trauma Center by the state of Missouri, Saint Francis passed a rigorous comprehensive quality assessment and demonstrated the ability to provide:
- 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians
- Prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists
- Transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center
- Continuing education for trauma center nurses and personnel
Our emergency and trauma center is a state-of-the-art facility with 32 patient rooms, including:
- 26 private treatment rooms with direct access to bathrooms
- 3 trauma rooms
- 2 triage rooms
- 1 special procedures room
- Specially designated children’s exam areas and equipment specifically tailored to treat children of all ages
- Senior-friendly accommodations such as, thicker mattresses, higher chairs, large-print forms, guardrails and nonskid flooring to enhance comfort and encourage a speedy return to the highest quality of life
Southeast Missouri’s Largest Emergency Medical Services Team
With nearly 30 hospital-based emergency medicine professionals, our Level III Emergency and Trauma Center has the largest emergency medical services team in southeast Missouri. Our highly-experienced nursing staff is specially trained in advanced cardiac life support, trauma and pediatrics in order to support Saint Francis’ physicians around the clock.
Our Level III Emergency and Trauma Center provides critical care 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Saint Francis trauma surgeons provide treatment for life-threatening injuries sustained from falls and motor vehicle accidents. They lead the team that evaluates, resuscitates, stabilizes, and operates on these patients while working closely with the team of emergency physicians.
Common Illnesses and Injuries Treated by Saint Francis Emergency Services Physicians:
- Abdominal pain
- Acute upper respiratory infections
- Allergic drug reaction
- Back pain
- Breathing difficulty
- Broken bones
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Gaping wounds
- Heart attacks and chest pain
- High fever
- Human and some animal bites
- Severe cuts
- Sudden severe pain and swelling in a joint
- Surgery complication
- Swallowing poison
Emergency Air Transportation Services
When time is of the essence, Saint Francis Medical Center has immediate access to regional aeromedical services that respond to life-threatening injuries and medical conditions. Area Rescue Consortium of Hospitals (ARCH) Air Medical Services and Air Evac Lifeteam provides emergency air transportation throughout our southeast Missouri and surrounding states. Aircraft land on one of two heliports at our Level III Trauma Center.
Urgent care physicians treat a host of non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries that need immediate attention. Physicians routinely care for patients with the conditions listed below, as well as numerous other medical needs commonly treated by primary care physicians:
- Ear infections
- Sore or strep throat
- Colds or flu
- Upset stomach
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Cuts or lacerations
- Hives or rashes
- Bruises or sprains
Saint Francis Medical Center offers easily accessible walk-in urgent care facilities, open with extended hours during the week and on weekends. Appointments are never needed.
Immediate Convenient Care
Immediate Convenient Care extends our urgent care coverage in southeast Missouri. Our facilities provide the highest quality urgent care throughout the area – walk right in!
American Family Care
Saint Francis partners with American Family Care to provide more extensive coverage in Cape Girardeau. American Family Care treats everything from cuts, bruises and fractures to the common cold. They provide on-site lab tests, X-rays, and prescriptions.
465 S. Mount Auburn Road Suite 103
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
American Family Care Hours:
Monday – Sunday: 8 am – 8 pm