5 Tips to Help Preserve Your Joints
With so many products on the market to help you reverse the effects of aging, it’s unfortunate that there are no creams or ointments available to reduce the pain you could feel as your joints age. However, Advanced Orthopedic Specialists has five tips you can use to help delay the onset of joint pain.
Joints, the connection between two bones, will sustain a certain amount of wear and tear as we age. To remain pain- and arthritis- free requires practicing good joint preservation techniques.
The following techniques will help you to treat your joints with care as they age.
- Movement – Every day move each joint through its full range of motion to sustain mobility and freedom from pain. Make sure your movements are slow and gentle to avoid injury and be careful not to over-extend.
- Use – Be sure to use your joints in the manner in which they are intended for. Avoid stressful positions and techniques that could put you at risk for injury.
- Posture – The manner in which you carry your body has a significant impact on whether your joints will remain pain-free. Practice good posture by adjusting work spaces to your specifications. Avoid back pain by picking items up using your legs and not your lower back. Also, when carrying heavy objects be sure to cradle the items close to your body.
- Play Favorites – Favor the larger joints. Use the weaker joints for duties only they can handle. Using your hands, carry objects palm open to help distribute weight equally over your forearm. If available, make use of surfaces around you. Instead of lifting an object, slide the object across a surface like a table or workbench.
- Stay Active – Avoid keeping your joints in the same position for a prolonged period of time. This will help to keep your joints from becoming stiff. In situations where this cannot be avoided, like car rides, take a break every hour to stretch and adjust your seating position.