Heart Hospital Located in Southeast Missouri
Saint Francis Medical Center’s Heart Hospital in southeast Missouri provides advanced diagnostics, leading-edge cardiac intervention and surgeries, emergency care, cardiac rehabilitation, risk assessments for heart disease, vascular disease screenings and heart education. We’re proud of our affiliation with Cleveland Clinic, the No. 1 Cardiology & Heart Surgery program in the nation since 1995, according to U.S. News & World Report.
Our highly-skilled cardiologists and cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons at Saint Francis have achieved mortality rates that are 50 percent lower than the national average and discharge many patients within four days. As a leader in cardiac innovations, Saint Francis was the first Heart Hospital in southeast Missouri to perform cardiac catheterization. Our heart hospital offers the following:
- 50 private acute care beds
- 10 cardiac intensive care beds.
- Five cardiac catheterization labs, including:
- 1 electrophysiology (EP) lab
- 1 hybrid endovascular lab
The EP lab is one of the first in the world to use the Philips EP Navigator System, a specialized imaging system.
Nationally-Recognized Cardiac Care
Our Heart Hospital is among the best hospitals in the nation for treating patients who have had a heart attack. The Medical Center has received the American College of Cardiology’s NCDR ACTION Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award for the sixth consecutive year. The Heart Hospital:
- Is one of only 193 hospitals in the nation to earn this prestigious heart care honor in 2017.
- Demonstrated sustained achievement in the ACTION registry for eight consecutive quarters, performing at the top level for specific performance measures.
- Is being recognized for having reached aggressive goals in treating heart attack patients to standard levels of care as outlined by the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association clinical guidelines and recommendations.
Saint Francis Medical Center is also a recipient of the Chest Pain – MI Registry™ Platinum Performance Achievement Award. The Medical Center has demonstrated sustained achievement in Chest Pain – MI Registry for eight consecutive quarters and met high performance standards for specific performance measures to receive this 2019 award.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more than 700,000 Americans suffer a heart attack each year. Fortunately, award-winning hospitals like Saint Francis are consistently saving lives and improving outcomes for these patients.
Our Heart Hospital in Cape Girardeau treats a wide range of heart and vascular disorders, including:
- Angina pectoris
- Aortic stenosis/aortic insufficiency
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Congenital heart disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Mitral regurgitation
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Pelvic varices
- Peripheral arterial disease
Our Heart Hospital offers patients a wide array of treatments, including:
- Angioplasty with stenting
- Arterial bypass grafting
- Carotid stenting
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Diagnostic coronary and peripheral angiography
- da Vinci® Robotic surgery
- Heart valve replacement
- Intracoronary thrombectomy
- Maze, TMR and heart port procedures
- Pacemaker surgery
- Stress testing
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Transradial catheterization
Ratings and Accreditation
The Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care gave Saint Francis a full Cycle IV accreditation through 2018 and we were the first heart hospital in southeast Missouri to receive this accreditation.
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
The Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) is a 10-bed unit that provides 24-hour care to patients diagnosed with cardiac conditions who have had open heart, vascular and thoracic surgical procedures and require intensive care, monitoring and nursing observation. CICU nursing staff is specially trained to manage surgical patients and provide high quality care. Admissions to the CICU come from transfers from acute care facilities, referrals from outside physicians and the emergency room.
What you eat can help you prevent heart disease. Nutrition Services at Saint Francis Medical Center offers you a team of specialty-trained dietitians to help you select foods for a healthier lifestyle. We also offer educational sessions focus on decreasing fat, cholesterol and sodium intake in your diet and making total lifestyle changes.
Other Heart Hospital Services
There are many programs and services offered at the Saint Francis Heart Hospital. These include:
- Catheterization labs
- Cardiac Noninvasive Diagnostic Center
- Arrhythmia Center
- Heart Valve Center
- Hybrid endovascular lab
- Advanced diagnostics
- Intervention and surgery
- Cardiac risk assessments
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cardiac screenings
- Educational programs