Southeast Missouri’s Only Level III Emergency and Trauma Center
The Emergency and Trauma Center at Saint Francis Medical Center is the only state-designated Level III emergency and trauma center in southeast Missouri, caring for nearly 38,000 patients annually. The Center was formally named the Gene E. Huckstep Emergency/Trauma Center in recognition of a long-term chairman of our board of directors.
To earn the designation of Level III Trauma Center by the state of Missouri, Saint Francis passed a rigorous comprehensive quality assessment and demonstrated the ability to provide:
- 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians
- Prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists
- Transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center
- Continuing education for trauma center nurses and personnel
Our emergency and trauma center is a state-of-the-art facility with 32 patient rooms, including:
- 26 private treatment rooms with direct access to bathrooms
- 3 trauma rooms
- 2 triage rooms
- 1 special procedures room
- Specially designated children’s exam areas and equipment specifically tailored to treat children of all ages
- Senior-friendly accommodations such as, thicker mattresses, higher chairs, large-print forms, guardrails and nonskid flooring to enhance comfort and encourage a speedy return to the highest quality of life
Reviews for Saint Francis Emergency Department
Great care! Was there on July 4th with a broken ankle. My nurse was amazing and everyone else I came in contact with! They took great care of me!
Kidney stone sent me to the ER and this hospital took great care of me, were efficient, and caring.
Seem to know exactly what he is talking about top notch . Very friendly fellow
Another amazing visit with amazing staff. This is our 3rd time taking our baby here and each time they get us in and out and show empathy to our child. When the Poplar Bluff ER wouldn’t even examine her and thought we were crazy, we drove an hour and a half to this hospital for help. They treated us with compassion and made sure our baby was well taken care of. I will always make the trip if I can. Thank you guys for taking care of our baby. Dr. Hammon was outstanding.