Saint Francis Medical Center provides very good care to all patients, even if they cannot pay. If you cannot pay your hospital bill(s), Saint Francis offers three options under our Financial Assistance Program.
Except where exclusions are noted, the financial assistance program applies to:
- Hospital charges by Saint Francis Medical Center, including the emergency room
- Professional charges for services performed at Saint Francis Medical Center by the doctors or other providers covered by this program
- Charges for services performed at the office or clinic of those providers covered by this program
A list of the doctors and other providers who are covered by the program is available by request to Customer Service, Saint Francis Medical Center, 211 Saint Francis Drive, Cape Girardeau, MO 63703.
The program does not cover elective services such as wellness programs, weight loss programs or weight loss surgery, cosmetic procedures, items for patient convenience (such as hearing or visual aids), experimental services or services that are non-reimbursable by traditional insurance carriers or government payers, non-essential services and services that are not appropriate to a hospital setting, or procedures inconsistent with the Ethical and Religious Directives of the Roman Catholic Church.
Uninsured Patient Assistance
All uninsured patients will get a 75 percent reduction on their bill. No application form is required for this discount. If you cannot pay the remainder of your bill, you may be eligible for additional assistance.
Presumptive Financial Assistance
Remaining balances will be reviewed to see if you qualify for additional assistance. If you meet qualifications, your account balance could be reduced to zero.
Traditional Financial Assistance
For those who feel they are unable to pay, you may apply for traditional financial assistance. Based on your application, you could receive an additional discount of 50 to 100 percent. To apply for Traditional Financial Assistance, you will need:
- Last year’s tax returns
- Total earnings of everyone living in the household
If you are approved, the assistance is for 30 days. You must reapply every 30 days if your need continues.
Applications are available at the Saint Francis Business Office. Our Customer Service department can provide information or to assist you with the application process. Please call 573-331-5217 or 1-866-304-3071 for help.
- By phone (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:30 pm):
573-331-5217 or 1-866-304-3071
- At the billing office window (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm)
Click below to download an application for financial assistance or visit the Saint Francis Business Office to request an application.
The FAP Policy, application and this plain language summary are available in other languages, upon request.
- Complete Financial Assistance Policy Information
- Financial Assistance Policy – Plain Language Summary
- Asistencia Financiera – En español
- Participating Providers (noted in blue on the linked document)
- Credit and Collection Policy
Health Services Financing
Not all patients are able to pay for their out-of-pocket expenses upon receipt of their invoice. Therefore, special arrangements have been made with Commerce Bank to offer a Health Services Financing account as a payment option that offers:
- Easy enrollment
- One monthly payment
- Ability to fund multiple services on one account
- 0% interest