With up to eight percent of expecting mothers experiencing complications during pregnancy, Saint Francis Medical Center highly values its partnership with Cape Maternal & Fetal Medicine to provide comprehensive care to parents throughout the region.
What Is a Perinatologist?
A perinatologist – also known as a maternal-fetal medicine specialist – is a doctor who works with expecting mothers and their obstetricians or family practitioners who deliver babies to ensure the healthiest pregnancies possible if they are at higher-than-normal risk.
Who Sees a Perinatologist?
Obstetricians or family practitioners refer patients to a perinatologist if:
- There is need for diagnostic or therapeutic procedures during pregnancy
- Medical or surgical disorders could complicate pregnancy
- Pregnancy is at an increased risk for an adverse outcome
- There is concern of preterm labor, low birth weight, illness or other complications
With a full-time perinatologist, Cape Maternal & Fetal Medicine’s highly trained physician and support staff work closely with expecting parents and their referring obstetricians and family practitioners to co-manage a variety of medical complications that can occur during pregnancy, including:
- Chronic renal disease
- Complicated preeclampsia and eclampsia
- Congenital disorders
- Endocrine diseases
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Hematological diseases
- Hypertension and cardiac disease
- Incompetent cervix
- Infectious diseases
- Neurological diseases and seizure disorders
- Preterm labor
- Recurrent pregnancy losses
- Significant second or third trimester bleeding
Cape Maternal & Fetal Medicine diagnoses and treats pregnancy-related complications through state-of-the-art technology, advanced procedures and personalized care, including:
- Preconception genetic counseling for concerns with personal and family health histories
- 4-D ultrasound technology that shows 3-D images of the baby’s movement
- Genetic disorder assessment by evaluating the baby’s heart and blood flow
- Prenatal diagnosis as needed through amniocentesis or other testing
- Careful monitoring and management of multiple gestation pregnancies
- Management of chronic conditions affecting pregnancies, such as diabetes, kidney disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disorders and seizure
About Our Providers
Saint Francis Medical Center shares its powerful resources and technology with its Medical Partner, Cape Maternal & Fetal Medicine. Patients have direct access to the latest technology and medical breakthroughs in cardiac, neuroscience, cancer, obstetrics and gynecology, neonatal care, emergency and trauma care, orthopedics and more.
Specialties:Maternal and Fetal Medicine