The Southeast Missouri Region’s Most Advanced Surgical Services
Saint Francis Medical Center’s Surgical Services boasts an exceptional reputation for quality care. Our board-certified surgeons are the most qualified in the southeast Missouri region. Surgical Services at Saint Francis serves all inpatients and outpatients undergoing a surgical or special diagnostic procedure, and offers the following:
State-of-the-Art Surgical Suite
Saint Francis Medical Center’s surgical suite consists of 18 operating rooms and two cystoscopy rooms. Two of the operating rooms are dedicated to open-heart surgery and one to interventional radiology, or endovascular surgeries.
Da Vinci® Surgical System
Two da Vinci® S HDTM Surgical Systems are used for procedures in three surgical specialties: cardiothoracic surgery, gynecology, and urology.
Sterile processing prepares surgical instruments, assembles surgical trays, and prepares case carts for surgical procedures.
Anesthesia and Post-Anesthesia Care Unit
Saint Francis Surgical Services uses anesthesia when appropriate, administered by a qualified anesthesiologist.
The Post-Anesthesia Care Unit consists of 16 bays and two negative airflow isolation rooms that serve postoperative patients.
Same Day Surgical Services in Cape Girardeau
Same Day Services offers the same high level of care to patients whose surgeries do not require an overnight stay in the Medical Center:
All outpatients, including surgical patients, selected radiology procedure patients, preadmission testing patients, and select Heart Institute patients are cared for by the Same Day Services staff:
- Care is provided in 28 private rooms
- Van transportation is provided (as needed)
Bariatric Surgery Now Available in Cape Girardeau
Weight Loss Solutions at Saint Francis Medical Center provides several bariatric surgery options to individuals in the southeast Missouri region who struggle with obesity.
Led by Cape Girardeau native and bariatric and general surgeon Ryan A. LeGrand, MD and Carson C. Cunningham, MD, our state-of-the-art bariatric surgery center offers three weight-loss surgery options for those seriously considering a lasting lifestyle change:
- BPD-DS – A small, tube-shaped pouch is created to decrease stomach size and hold less food, and the small intestine is divided into two sections and attached to the lower part of the smaller stomach. This allows food to go past most of the small intestine and not mix with digestive enzymes until further down the tract.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy – In this procedure, a thin, vertical sleeve of stomach is created and the rest of the stomach is removed. This limits the amount of food the individual can eat and helps him feel full sooner.
- Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery – In this procedure, a small portion of the stomach is sewn or stapled together to make a small pouch (roughly the size of an egg) to limit food intake. It also bypasses part of the intestines to reduce calorie absorption.
If you think you may be a candidate for weight loss surgery, call Weight Loss Solutions at 573-331-3993 to schedule a consultation.
Keep it Clean: Post-Surgical Infection Prevention
Saint Francis Medical Center strives to give patients the best care available in southeast Missouri, which includes preventive measures to avoid a surgical site infection after surgery.
Preventing infection is a group effort that involves our physicians, staff, and patients. Do your part by practicing good post-surgery hygiene at home and knowing these infection indicators:
- Fever and chills
- Redness around the incision
Saint Francis created several post-surgery infection control videos to help you learn more about proper wound care and achieving a speedier recovery. You can also ask your healthcare provider for a DVD version, now playing throughout the Medical Center.