Restoring Your Mind and Body
Each day, everything you do is made possible by your brain, spine and nerves. They take you where you want to go, let you interact with the world and help make you you. When you experience injury, illness or pain, it can feel like you have lost a part of yourself. With help from the Neurosciences Institute team at Saint Francis, you can get back to feeling like you again – doing the activities you love, with the ones who matter most.
Expert Care from Skilled Specialists
The Neurosciences Institute at Saint Francis Healthcare System is the region’s leader in diagnosing, treating and managing injuries and illnesses of the brain, spine and nerves – with some of the top experts in the country. Our highly skilled specialists provide leading-edge diagnostic imaging and advanced medical, surgical and rehabilitative technologies and treatment options.
The Highest Quality of Care
When you experience injury or illness related to your nervous system, you want the very best care to help you get back to feeling like yourself. At the Neurosciences Institute, we are committed to providing the highest quality care for our patients. We adhere to rigorous national standards for processes and patient outcomes to provide exceptional care.
Patients receive focused care at these specialized centers and clinics:
- Spine Center of Excellence
- ALS Clinic
- Concussion Clinic
- MS Care Center
- Neuromuscular Clinic
- Pain Management Center
- Spasticity Clinic
- Stroke Center, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for stroke emergencies.
Spine Center of Excellence
The Spine Center of Excellence means you’ll get the right care at the right time — every time.
Our neuroscience experts at Saint Francis will complete a thorough assessment to determine the best treatment options for you, from physical therapy to pain management to spine surgery.
Our specialists provide leading-edge diagnostic imaging and advanced medical, surgical and rehabilitative technologies and treatment options. Plus, our experts offer the latest minimally invasive techniques for spine surgery.
And, our experts serve more patients in more places, including Farmington, Poplar Bluff and Sikeston locations.
To put your back and neck pain behind you, call 573-331-5111
The Neurosciences Institute offers leading-edge diagnostic imaging and advanced medical, surgical, and rehabilitative care for a wide range of neurological disorders, including:
- Acute and Chronic Pain – Acute and chronic pain is defined as long-term, severe physical discomfort, including neck pain and back pain.
- Alzheimer’s Disease – This disorder of the brain causes dementia, which is the degeneration of intellectual functions, such as memory.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis – Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a motor neuron disease that causes muscle weakness and atrophy.
- Epilepsy – Epilepsy is a common disorder of the brain that causes recurring seizures.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disease of the central nervous system thought to be the result of a malfunction in the immune system. This progressive disease causes loss of myelin (the fatty substance that covers and protects nerves) in the brain or spinal cord and can cause deterioration in muscle strength, eyesight, speech, and movement.
- Parkinson’s Disease – Parkinson’s disease is a disorder of the nervous system caused by the decay of dopamine-producing brain cells.
- Spinal Disorders – Spinal disorders are the disturbance of normal functioning of the spinal column and/or spinal cord.
- Stroke – Strokes occur when blood stops flowing to the brain. Conditions resulting from a stroke may include the loss of consciousness, speech, or partial movement.
- Traumatic Brain Injury – Traumatic brain injuries are serious neurological injuries caused by unexpected situations including automobile accidents. Symptoms of a mild traumatic brain injury include dizziness or vertigo, headaches or migraines, and confusion.
To diagnose and treat various conditions, the Neurosciences Institute uses a number of advanced technologies, including:
- 64-slice CT scanning
- Autonomic testing
- EEG monitoring (including 24-hour and video EEG)
- Nuclear medicine
- Open 1.5 tesla MRI scanning
- PET/CT scanning
Intervention and Surgery
The Neurosciences Institute serves as the home base for some of the top neurological experts in the country. Our neurosurgeons have trained at some of the finest teaching hospitals and have performed thousands of procedures, including:
- Artificial lumbar and cervical disk implants
- Intradiscal electrothermal therapy
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty for compression fractures
- Minimally invasive lumbar surgery
- Spinal fusion
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
Spine Surgery Equipment Options
The Neurosciences Institute’s rehabilitation program begins the first day of the patient’s stay, where we provide education and therapy modalities patients need to return to the community. Our program consistently exceeds national benchmarks for patient care and includes:
- A balance program
- A driver rehabilitation program
- Home care
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapists
- Work injury training