The Sister Jane Mission Award recognizes colleagues who exemplify these core values:
- Compassion: Seeing others through Christ’s eyes.
- Stewardship: Appropriately managing all resources.
- Joy: Serving with a happy heart in reflection of Christ’s love.
- Integrity: Doing what is right and just.
- Faith: Trusting in something unseen.
- Hope: What we give to those in despair.
- Excellence: Constantly striving for best-in-nation performance.
- Dignity: Respecting human life from beginning to end.
The award is presented annually in October, during the Feast of Saint Francis. Nominations are accepted during the month of July.
Any full- or part-time colleague who has been employed by Saint Francis Healthcare System for two years or more is eligible to receive the award. Excluded staff are executives (chiefs and vice presidents) and previous Sister Jane Mission Award winners.
Any colleague may nominate any other eligible colleague in any department or practice/clinic who meets the award criteria (see Eligibility above). To nominate a colleague, use the nomination form below.
About Sister Jane
Sister Jane Kiefer joined the Franciscan sisters in Wheaton, Illinois, in November 1948, and worked in Catholic healthcare in Wisconsin, Iowa and Missouri. In 1976, she returned to Southeast Missouri to start a medical social work program at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau. In 1985, she transferred to Pastoral Care and served as a chaplain for 13 years. During this time, she became the sole religious sister remaining at Saint Francis. After retiring in 1998, she continued her service at the hospital as a volunteer. Sister Jane is retiring to the Wheaton Franciscan Order House in Chicago in 2019.
- 2019: Pam Kimbel
- 2018: Charity Worley